Elderly!

[Previously published 02/04/24 on Medium, X (Twitter), & LinkedIn]

It was a routine appointment with my primary care physician, and we were reviewing my standard lab tests. All the numbers were on point until we got to the HgbA1C (a test to check average blood sugars). My usual range is in the mid-6’s, which means my Type II Diabetes is “adequately” controlled. This time, a red 7.2 popped up. Yikes! My doctor assured me the higher result was likely due to holiday excesses and that she actually preferred to see a bit higher number in her elderly patients.

ELDERLY! The remainder of her explanation flew over my head as the dreaded word hit home. Yes, my 70th birthday occurred at the end of 2023. But when did I get old?

I have collected a basket of chronic diseases over the past 30 years, partially due to genetics, the remainder probably impacted by my high-stress, 80 to 100-hour work weeks as a Trauma Surgeon.

All of these ailments have stayed in a moderate stage thanks to modern medications. The AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) site addresses the Wellness Paradox.

And there is the small matter of becoming a cyborg, with two titanium hips and bilateral corneal corrective lenses.

After a moment, I shook my head and declared, “I may be elderly and ageing, but it’s all good.”

Attitude is the key to acceptance and moving forward. I am resilient.

The best news, is with retirement, even though my bodily functions may be slowly deteriorating, my mind remains sharp. And now, I have time to sit and consider life and to expound upon my reflections with writing.

What personal shocks have you encountered? How have you dealt with them, and what was the outcome?

You can follow the Author on her Website or X (formerly Twitter).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earth Rotation Day

National Puzzle Day

The Grandest Fir