Let the Gardening Begin!

My gardening has been on a hiatus due to health issues last fall that extended into early spring. I am back on my feet and eager to return to vegetable and perennial gardening. But first, I had to do much overdue fall garden cleanup: raking leaves, picking up downed branches, and pruning overgrown perennials. 

The front porch is tidy and welcoming for humans and birds alike, with bird and hummingbird feeders, and hanging flower baskets.

All three Clematis are in full bloom, Jackmanii the most prolific. A bright pink and light purple vine are recent additions that gradually fill their trellises.

At the Clematis feet, a small birdbath provides water for wildlife, and Cannas leaves are beginning to emerge.

In the orchard behind the carport, the hardy Rosa Rugosa and its clove scent welcome pollinating insects. Three Lavender shrubs are leafed and budded, and the bees are buzzing in anticipation.

Perennial herbs are doing well: chives, oregano, dill, and borage. The asparagus is in its second year, so it can’t be picked; the same with rhubarb. Strawberries that I transplanted last year are producing juicy sweet berries. Three elderberry bushes are limping along, finally getting a solid start after protective wire cages saved their lives.

I usually start my own seedlings, but this year I cheated and purchased seedlings. I was lucky to visit Lowe’s Garden Center while the Bonnie farm truck was present. The gentleman who was unloading and placing plants helped find the best of each item. He laughed and said my purchase was so large that I might be better off working directly with Bonnie than having Lowe’s as a middleman.

The seedlings are tucked into raised beds: tomatoes of several varieties, basil, peppers-hot and sweet, eggplant, chamomile, and cucumber-bush and climbing.

I installed two mesh cages to protect the corn, zucchini, and yellow squash from the ubiquitous critters.

A third cage was set up to protect the blueberry bushes, flush with berries from marauding birds. I hope to taste some blueberries this year.

Later this week, I will plant Yukon Gold potatoes, Beauregard Sweet Potatoes, and pumpkins. In the interim, seeds have been tucked into other beds: melons, brassicas, beans, beets, carrots, and marigolds.

Once all the vegetables have been installed, I can turn my attention to more perennial flowers, but that, my friends, is a story for another day.

Are you gardening this year? Vegetables, flowers, or both?

You can follow the Author on her Website and on Twitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earth Rotation Day

National Puzzle Day

The Grandest Fir