Creative Juices

Recently, I’ve experienced a surge of creative juices, resulting in a high output of written work. The outpouring is fortunate because a writing colleague shared an updated calendar of haiku submission deadlines. I was excited to discover new journal opportunities around the country and the world. The Twitter writing community shares a wealth of experience and resources, and I’m blessed to be a part of them.

The most recent deadline is today, May 15th. The good news is that I write nearly every day, so I have a lot of work products to pull from. I always carry a Moleskin notebook for jotting down spontaneous thoughts, most of which occur while driving (don’t worry, I don’t write until I’ve pulled over into a safe location.) My pocket companion and a mechanical pencil are step one in the writing process.

The next step is to transcribe my notes into Word documents, which may consist of exciting words, snippets of overheard conversation, lines, and phrases of poetry.

I keep a set of files on my laptop specifically for writing. One file is my Haiku Tracker, with subfiles per year. See a screenshot of the beginning of the 2021 list. I may write haiku in response to a publisher’s prompt or as a result of spontaneous inspiration. Note I have them numbered since haiku is traditionally not titled. The bracketed words are general ideas or prompts. Revisions follow the original haiku (I never discard concepts.) Some poems have been written, submitted, rejected, rewritten, and submitted to another site, rinse and repeat until they find a happy resting place. The work that has been published is highlighted in green.

Another general file is an Annual Writing file, with subfiles addressing submission locations, i.e. individual periodicals. These files are also submission trackers, so I avoid sending repeat work to editors (a big NO NO.)

As a result, my rewriting has gone into hyperdrive over the past few days,, with my computer open to multiple screens. One is the new submission opportunity list; two is my haiku tracker page, and three is the above poetry file page. In addition, two other pages are open: Safari browser for research and Visual Thesaurus to aid me in pinpointing the exact word(s) I need.

The key is to fine-tune each poem.

And then sort the poems like a box of puzzle pieces until the right pieces fit together. Correct poem=correct journal.

As a result, over the past week, I submitted 35 poems to 11 different publications. Whew, no wonder my brain is tired. I’ve already had one acceptance, and maybe that will be it, but perhaps, I’ve cross-matched correctly, and more good news will arrive by email over the next few weeks. But maybe, those darn little poems still need additional crafting.

What is your creative outlet? Have you submitted your work to a contest or call for submissions?

You can follow the Author on her Website or on Twitter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earth Rotation Day

National Puzzle Day

The Grandest Fir